It’s a good idea to tune-up your computer at least twice per year, in order to keep it running at its best, and to keep the bugs out. Here’s a computer tune-up checklist.
- Defragment your hard drive
- Disable unwanted startup programs
- Run Disk Cleanup
- Remove temporary files
- Check backup logs (you ARE backing up aren’t you)
- Perform a test restore of backed up files
- Check hard drive health
- Check event logs and correct any issues found
- Update your operating system
- Apply software program updates
- Check computer performance settings
- Check anti-virus status and logs
- Check firewall status and logs
- Change all your passwords. Passwords should be at least 8 characters long.
- Write down all your usernames and passwords. Do this before you need them, and you’ll be very thankful later. One of the most important passwords people often do not recall is their e-mail password. (everyone has one, and it’s needed every time we work on your email, setup a new computer, phone or tablet, or should your email account be compromised).
Nerd4Rent would be happy to perform a computer tune-up for you! Please contact us to make an appointment.